Last Call: Cattlemen’s Boot Camp in Oklahoma
Cattle producers are invited to gather for a Cattlemen’s Boot Camp Oct. 15-16 at Oklahoma State University (OSU) in Stillwater, Okla. The event is hosted by the American Angus Association in partnership with OSU, and provides purebred and commercial producers timely information presented by academic and industry professionals.
Registration is available online until Sept. 30.
“There’s something for everyone at our Cattlemen’s Boot Camp events,” says Jaclyn Clark, Association director of events and education. “We hope cattle producers in the southeast consider attending as a way to stay up-to-date on the latest technology and tools available to them in the beef business.”
Open to all cattle producers, the event is funded by the Angus Foundation and features a day and a half of educational speakers and hands-on activities to help improve their herd operations. The workshop is packed with pertinent information including bull selection, reproductive technologies, genetic markets, forage management and much more.
Registration is $75 per person, and includes meals and educational materials. Registration forms are due Sept. 30 and can be submitted electronically or mailed to Clark at the American Angus Association, 3201 Frederick Ave., Saint Joseph, MO, 64506. Late and walk-in registrations are not accepted.
A tentative schedule follows.
2015 Cattlemen’s Boot Camp
Oct. 15-16| Stillwater, Okla.
Thursday, Oct. 15
- 8 a.m. – Registration – Oklahoma State University Purebred Beef Cattle Center
- 9 a.m. – Greetings and Introductions: Jeff Mafi, American Angus Association, and Mark Johnson, Oklahoma State University
- 9:15 a.m. – Beef Cattle Market Outlook: Derrell Peel, Oklahoma State University
- 9:45 a.m. – Increasing the Value of Your Calf Crop at Marketing: Grant Mourer, Oklahoma State University
- 10:30 a.m. – Break
- 10:45 a.m. – New Frontier in Angus Genetics “Making the Best Better”: Tonya Amen, Angus Genetics Inc.
- 11:30 p.m. – Genetic Basis for Heat Tolerance in Cattle: Megan Rolf, Oklahoma State University
- 12:15 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:15 p.m. – Break Out Sessions:
- Identification Tattooing and Freeze Branding: Jeremy Leister, Oklahoma State University
- Foot Scoring: Jeff Mafi, American Angus Association
- DNA Testing Commercial Cattle for Selection and Profitability: Tonya Amen, Angus Genetics Inc.
- Sale Cattle Preparation: Mark Johnson, Oklahoma State University
- 3:15p.m. – Break
- 3:30 p.m. – The Value of Source Verification: Ginette Gottswiller, American Angus Association
- 4:15 p.m. – Beef Cow Nutrition: Dave Lalman, Oklahoma State University
- 5 p.m. – Reproduction Strategies and Estrus Synchronization: Dan Stein, Oklahoma State University
- 6 p.m. – Dinner
- 7 p.m. – Summary: Mark Johnson, Oklahoma State University
Friday, Oct. 16
- 8 a.m. – Carcass Evaluation and Factors Influencing Eating Quality: Gretchen Mafi, Oklahoma State University
- 9 a.m. – Value Added Cuts and Innovative Cutting: Jake Nelson, FAPC
- 10 a.m. – Morning Break
- 10:15 a.m. – Building Brand Equity within the Cow Herd: Kara Lee, Certified Angus Beef LLC
- 11 a.m. – High Quality Hard Times = Great Opportunities: Brad Morgan, Performance Food Group
- 12 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. – General Q&A: American Angus Association Staff
Source: American Angus Association