ELD, Hours of Service Fixes for Livestock Haulers Proposed by Senators

Livestock haulers may get some relief from transportation rules if a bill proposed by a bipartisan group of Senators moves forward in Congress. ( Wyatt Bechtel )

Eleven Senators proposed a bipartisan bill that would help alleviate the strain of transportation laws such as the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) and hours of service rules for truckers hauling livestock.

The Transporting Livestock Across America Safely Act was introduced by a bipartisan group led by Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) on May 23.

The bill provides some fixes for the hours of service and the ELD through the following measures:

• Providing that hours of service and ELD requirements are inapplicable until after a driver travels more than 300-air miles from their source. Drive time for hours of service purposes does not start until after 300-air mile threshold.
  • Extends the hours of service on-duty time maximum hour requirement from 11 hours to a minimum of 15 hours and a maximum of 18 hours of on-duty time.
  • Loading and unloading times are exempt from the hours of service calculation of driving time, so are time spent waiting at facilities such as packing plants.
  • Grants flexibility for drivers to rest at any point during their trip without counting against hours of service time.
  • Allows drivers to complete their trip – regardless of hours of service requirements – if they come within 150-air miles of their delivery point.
  • After the driver completes their delivery and the truck is unloaded, the driver will take a break for a period that is 5 hours less than the maximum on-duty time (10 hours if a 15 hour drive time).

“Our ranchers and haulers are professionals who make the well-being of livestock their top priority and that includes safe transportation,” Sen. Sasse says. “The Department of Transportation’s current regulations endanger livestock during hot summers and cold winters causing significant stress on the animals and concern for the drivers. This bipartisan bill is good for our ranchers, good for our haulers, and good for our livestock.”

Other Senators signing the bill include: Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa),  Jon Tester (D-Mont.), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Tina Smith (D-Minn.), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Doug Jones (D-Ala.).

“The transport of agricultural commodities, particularly livestock, poses unique challenges not faced by other segments of the trucking industry,” says Sen. Ernst. “The Transporting Livestock Across America Safely Act addresses these realities and the shortcomings of the current hours of service regulations by giving truckers the flexibility they need to get cattle, hogs, and other live agricultural commodities to their destination.”

Livestock groups are pleased to see the proposed legislation with the U.S. Cattlemen’s Association (USCA), the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) and the National Pork Producer’s Council (NPPC) all backing changes to the hours of service rules.

“We asked, and Congress answered. This is a historic moment for livestock and insect haulers to finally be afforded needed flexibility in the restrictive hours of service rules,” says Steve Hilker, USCA Transportation Committee Chairman and owner of Steve Hilker Trucking in Kansas. “Thank you to everyone who has put in many hours, many miles and many late nights to get this piece of legislation brought forth to the Senate floor. We look forward to working with the Senate - and the House - to get the Transporting Livestock Across America Safely Act across the finish line.”

Hilker and NCBA President Kevin Kester both expressed thanks specifically to Sen. Sasse for helping push forward the legislation.

“The current hours of service rules for livestock haulers present big challenges for our industry and can often jeopardize the health and well-being of livestock,” says Kester, a fifth-generation California rancher. “Given the unique nature of livestock hauling – often very long distances between cow-calf operations and feedlots or processing facilities – and the fact that we’re transporting live animals that must be treated humanely – this legislation is vitally important and I think it strikes a balance coupled with common sense for everybody involved. I hope Congress will pass this bill as quickly as possible so we can have this issue resolved before the ELD mandate for livestock haulers goes into effect on Oct.1.”

The full bill can be found below:

Transporting Livestock Across America Safely Act (PDF)

For more stories on developments in the ELD and hours of service rules read:

Comments

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
2 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Submitted by Hatch on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 22:37

A team of drivers could get livestock to destination just fine with current hours of service. If any group gets changes everyone should get the changes! HOS need to be addressed industry wide! But everyone needs to make changes, so livestock haulers need to do team driving until HOS are brought back to a workable situation.

Submitted by Rusty on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 22:55

Fuck u and ur stupidity...that's why they make peterbilts..so every cow hauler gets one...that's why we dont run team..stupid

In reply to by Hatch (not verified)

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 00:20

I think they should run teams also
and I own a pete and I have to obey the law so why not you

In reply to by Rusty (not verified)

Submitted by Hatch on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 22:40

Submitted by Rusty on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 22:51

U my freind are an idiot..u have never hauled a load of cattle ...or u wouldn't have such stupid coments... stay with you're Volvo and freight buggy...leave the real truckin to the big boys...we dont need no baby sitters like u freight hauler got...99% of u cant push a wheelbarrow...

In reply to by Hatch (not verified)

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 00:16

no you are the idiot it is all about safety and you are not any safer than any one else on the road and I do not need a baby sitter just because you think you are better than any of the restof use on the road you may need a baby sitter.

In reply to by Rusty (not verified)

Submitted by Ttttttttttffffkkkkk on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 05:49

You have no right calling anyone idols just because you are a cattle hauler. Everybody has a job to do and you all are no exception to the rules ,everybody should be the same. And we are not the ones driving over the speed limits 90 to 100

In reply to by Rusty (not verified)

Submitted by Miller time on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 13:55

The cry baby's got there way!!!! The cow trucks are the fastest trucks out there and all they had to do is cry about sitting and getting loaded or unloaded. I've sat at shippers and receivers for up to five hours. And I've even hauled swinging beef back in the 90's. Cow trucks are the biggest baby's out there. Bottom line.

In reply to by Rusty (not verified)

Submitted by Edbeau on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 07:12

Team drivers would be the only fair solution. I agree if one group gets changes everyone should be treated equal and get the same changes.

In reply to by Hatch (not verified)

Submitted by Doug walker on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:11

Life ain't fair. Unless you have hauled livestock stop crying!!!!!

In reply to by Edbeau (not verified)

Submitted by Dannie Bullard on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 23:02

If they can change things for Ranchers way can't they charge something for the rest of us

Submitted by Bar K J on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 21:44

Well I can tell you have no idea how hard it is to Ranch and take care of animals 365 day a year !!!! I bet you get paid vacation too !!!! Because you work so hard !!!!

In reply to by Dannie Bullard (not verified)

Submitted by Eddie Weise on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 23:24

Why isnt it like this for everyone??? Or do you senators have interests in cattle???

Submitted by Timmytunz on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 23:47

OK, enough is enough! I'm gonna get me a chicken, put in in a cage on the catwalk, (feed, water and let it out to catch bugs occasionally of course) and hand write the little lady in on every BOL I haul and at delivery mark BOL livestock refused and run under livestock exemption. Thats how stupid tbis whole mess is getting. There is a loophole for everything if you apply yourself. Dont worry, the cage will be mounted securly to the catwalk because we now know in the governments eyes when it comes to safety on Americas highways the chickens life is worth more than a humans!! Im gonna name my chicken Dollar Bill!

Submitted by Timmytunz on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 23:57

Guess I should get a rooster instead!!

In reply to by Timmytunz (not verified)

Submitted by Joe on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 03:58

Put the chicken I side the truck then u can be a real chicken hauler. Bull haulers are a bunch of a**holes and thier p.o.s. crackerbox pete. I don't want a truck that I can reach over and adjust the right side mirror from the driver's seat. The old days are gone and if you don't like it then Walmart is needs a greeter.

In reply to by Timmytunz (not verified)

Submitted by Edbeau on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 07:22

Sounds like Joe is jealous of Peterbilt drivers, I thought we were discussing HOS elogs.

In reply to by Joe (not verified)

Submitted by Bill on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 00:09

Why is any safer for ag transporters to run this kind of hours than any one else it is time to file lawsuits

Submitted by Nstayner on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 00:12

If Cow haulers get the brake on hrs then every driver should get the same . Who thinks of this crap. I lost one load a mo from this electronic log crap that’s 5 ,000 les a Mo. We need more money per mile if they get there brake. Unbelievable raised fuel cost lack of hrs = cow crap!!!!!

Submitted by Nstayner on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 00:15

I guess I’m going to kick my dog out of my truck and get me a small cow then I get the benifit . Bull crap

In reply to by Nstayner (not verified)

Submitted by Doug walker on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:15

It's funny nobody cry about Nascar and Hollywood getting exempt

In reply to by Nstayner (not verified)

Submitted by Frank Trejo on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 01:09

I haul cattle for 7 years I've haul Dry reefer oversized I've drove in everything you can think of Peterbilt long nose Volvo's freightliners total been out here 30 years there are stupid remarks on here but the ELD hours of service need to change for all Industries now just hauling cattle yes you need to extend your time but what they are calling for is BS 300 Air Miles

Submitted by Jay on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 01:22

This is bull shit. These logs are such a bad idea, that everybody, it seems needs an exemption. My living is cut in half, meanwhile these livestock haulers mop up the cash. Why is it a good idea for them, and not for the rest of us?

Submitted by Ken on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:24

You know why us cattle haulers make money and need this eld to change and it's because we are dealing with livestock key word live!!!! You dumb ass go haul you produce and shut the hell up

In reply to by Jay (not verified)

Submitted by Maddodg on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 02:09

I think the government should take their ELD boxes and shove them up their ass and leave us all alone

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 02:34

I tryed and lost .the big boys hauling livestock.
Time is money..65mph trucks just cant do that ...havent seen one yet.
Agriculture is in a group by themself.
Does and cow or a pig tell time.
Or the milk tanker.
I havent seen swift haul anything like yet i know its get them to do it .it mite be 2weeks before they show up with livestock. Or the sour milk.. e.l.d just a pice of shit..
You have warner enterprises to thank for that.. and the truckers let it..

Submitted by David on Mon, 05/28/2018 - 07:06

Thank you. You are the only damn one that has told the facts ( thank you Werner enterprises for hiring just any Tom dick Harry whom you can teach how to pass the cdl road test ) They started this shit and then the feds told them they to continue to use it because of their safety records or they would have close the doors then because so many newer lazy ass drivers to lazy to use a inkpen love this new technology we all get to suffer so now that you lazy asses got the way out of using the in open quit crying or grow a set and quit bitching and do something about the led and tell your company and the government to stick that led up ttheir ads take it out of your truck and throw it away

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Submitted by David on Mon, 05/28/2018 - 07:13

My comment should say. Lazy passes got your way out of using the ink pen

In reply to by David (not verified)

Submitted by iHateNWO on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 05:37

According to Constitution any forms of discrimination is illegal. So Senate who is a puppets of big corporations not a people just said that live stock drivers has more rights than other drivers, so basically it is KKK clan and every one is black slaves.
But I forget that Constitution means nothing for USA Senate.

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 05:55

We use to have a good set of rules in play in out original set of hos rules when it was 10 and 8. And it didn't matter what I hauled. But since this eld mandate come into play. All o hear is I'm driving tired and pushing the clock. Racing time period. The eld isn't about safety it's MONEY and who got paid in Washington on mega million dollar deal. Safety is in the driver not a damn computer.

Submitted by Pancho del rancho on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 06:30

So it's time to park the tanker and go cattle...que no mame pinche gobierno they not any safer...rules apply for all drivers...

Submitted by Dude on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 06:46

Teams in those trucks fixes all the problems
There already to many overturned livestock trucks because of overworked tired drivers

Submitted by Team on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 06:55

It’s time for larger companies to come in and take over the livestock transportation
Jbhunt and Schneider could do it more cost effective ,set up driver relay spots get cattle delivered with no delays all with in the hours of service the saving in transportation cost will be a plus for farmers the good ol boy network of livestock hauling with there exuberant rates is why your steak cost 20 dollars

In reply to by Dude (not verified)

Submitted by Doug walker on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:23

Tango tried this. Ask them how it went!
U must not have been around very long to remember this??

In reply to by Team (not verified)

Submitted by Steer feeder on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 22:38

The transportation rate has nothing to do with why your steak costs $20. Ever heard of packer margins. Your steak costs what it does because the packer thinks they need to clear $200 per animal harvested.

In reply to by Team (not verified)

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 06:58

Darin

Submitted by Darin on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 07:09

I am tired of running day , night, and holidays to b there so it's convenient for the 40 hour a week guys. I welcome the elds to level the playing field. Bring on the truck shortage. It might be bumpy for a while, but I think that it would be nice to make a good living with a ten hour day instead of around the clock. Mabye even get detention for the wasted time the shippers and receivers. Better yet, maybe they will have to start paying us buy the hour to get drivers back! Anyway, I've hauled cattle and it's hard grueling work with really long hours and they can have it.

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Submitted by Michael Walker on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 07:26

I truly believe if you come with in 150 air miles or 200 road miles you should be able to complete your trip even if you aren't a live stock/ agriculture hauler.

Thanks

Michael Walker

Submitted by Kenny on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 10:33

Wow what a bunch of cry babies!!!! If you don't like running with a ELD nanny then quit go to work for someone with older trucks.....or go buy one yourself. I farm I truck been around cattle my whole life I promise you most of you candy asses couldn't handle hauling cattle. About the time a 2000 pound bull stomped a whole in your ass you would be like sign me up for disability!!!!! That is why no major company will ever get into cattle hauling. As for the ELD if your that upset with them park the freaking truck!!!! Force the government's hand two weeks without any trucks moving is all it would take. I Know it will never happen but that's what needs to happen. Speed limitters are the same it freaking pisses me off to get stuck behind to jackoffs racing each other down the interstate at 63 when the speed limit is 75. I know it's not the drivers choice to be governd at 63 or whatever but they did choose to drive for those companies!!! Just saying you all have choices and options if you don't like your situation then do something about it!!!!!

In reply to by Michael Walker (not verified)

Submitted by Kenny on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 10:33

In reply to by Michael Walker (not verified)

Submitted by Doug Walker on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 08:57

My hats off to the senator's that have sense enough to understand what would happen with the price of meat if we have to start teaming or rest.not just any bozo can handle this job. Plenty can talk the crap but it takes a special breed to do this!

Submitted by Slick on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:19

Fucking cattle haulers think they above the law fucking assholes 100 miles ahour down the road

Submitted by Gust on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 09:46

Thank Obama for that ELD regulation. Always vote wisely!

Submitted by Jeremy lassiter on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 10:15

Thats a bunch of bullshit, they should have to follow all the rules of EOGS as all the other trucks on the road, they are no better than the rest of us out here.

Submitted by Jerome Benwell on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 11:55

Bunch of bull shit

Submitted by Tim on Thu, 05/24/2018 - 12:10

Need to change it back to companies under 20 trucks so that we r able to compete with big companies also y'all took a good system n fucked it up n made people not want to be a truck driver bull hauler n other I'm glad y'all got this but the government has no idea what we do n the whole industry I haul steel n I may sit for hrs n it my cost me thousand dollars a week or more per truck but that what happens when the government thinks they know what is best for something that they have a pencil pusher that has no idea tell them this is what the big companies want but now the big companies distribution center r not bring n enough freight to service the stores I guess they think the trains r going to pull up at Walmart lol r the car lots or fuel stops u have put all of the American drivers n harm's way not enough parking put us n places where we shouldn't be to get us killed each and every day u don't understand what I'm talking about because you never done this job but u know what's best for me bullshit I hope everyone that voted for this is voted out