Future of Beef Revisited: Consumer Issues and Demand

Consumers have more opportunities to express their opinion about the food they buy and eat.
( Wyatt Bechtel )

After four decades of engaging consumers and integrating producers, I still ponder.

The sensitivity between consumers and beef producers is increasing, but the sensitivity may not always be on the same tracks. Consumers register their opinion at the checkout counter through product selection and validate their expressed opinions by how they shop and how much they pay.

With the expansion of the internet, the opportunity for consumer validation, along with the expression of any disappointment with a meal, or a particular product or service, never has been greater. The internet expands the ability to monitor consumers, allowing businesses to stock what and when a product is most likely to sell.

Is the situation the same for cattle producers and the cattle they sell? No. So perhaps the balance between consumers and producers has yet to be determined.

How this reality connects to the producer who is selling the cows and calves is probably a loose fit, yet consumer thoughts need to be integrated with production expansion or contraction. After all, that is what drives the business.

In 2006, I reviewed an article by Helen Jensen (“Consumer Issues and Demand” published by the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in the online Choices publication, http://www.choicesmagazine.org, Volume 21, No. 3, 2006). She noted several very real impacts for small and middle-sized operations that loom in the future in regard to the consumer and demand.

Have these impacts changed in the last 12 years? Did these impacts actually become drivers for who survived the production process?

The drivers identified in 2006 probably still are present. The first driver is increased income levels, with dual-income families and related lifestyles. Income is not guaranteed, and families continue to budget the dollars they have.

As income declines, spending will shrink, but more importantly, the related lifestyle will not, at least willingly. I guess people really don’t want to give up something they once had.

The second driver is a healthy lifestyle. No doubt that obesity and the associated health costs continue to surface as a major concern. As a result, the caloric content of purchased food now is displayed widely. Do caloric numbers change food purchases? Maybe, or maybe not.

The basic farm and ranch products, when served without processed side dishes, have very acceptable caloric content. Will consumers respond?

A quick lunch today of basic farm and ranch products with 300 to 500 calories could be purchased easily. A side of dip and chips could add almost another 1,000 calories, and that was before the potential visit to the automatic soft drink dispenser.

What drives this? If one drops the side dish and drinks water, calories were not an issue.

Consumers and agricultural producers certainly should be on the same page for the second issue. Yes, some progress has been made with increased visibility of caloric numbers, but consumers still need to change some well-engrained eating habits.

The third issue identified by Jensen was a slowdown in population growth. The North American population is aging and more ethnically diverse because of increased immigration. Immigration always is a news topic, but the impact on beef production is probably left to the demand and supply curves.

The final issue is a noticeable change in how markets distribute and sell food. Within the last decade, the walk through an aggressive grocery hub certainly has taken on a new look. Farm and ranch products need floor space, counter space and freezer space. Every cow-calf producer needs to ask, “How does my annual production make its way to the food counter?”

Ask the store as well. Let the business know the floor space is appreciated.

Currently, the production discussion is more likely to occur in the harvesting segment of the industry. Unfortunately, beef producers continue to take a back seat in product recognition.

How is this going to play out in terms of beef production? Jensen narrowed the points to three. The first is, “Food safety will continue to be a paramount consumer expectation.” That’s absolutely true and will remain true. Globalization will drive world health. The beef producer will not be an exception. Sorry, but true.

The second point is: “As North American incomes continue to increase, consumers will choose products on the basis of varied attributes, including taste, variety and convenience.” However, consumers still remain cost conscious, creating an opportunity for the cost-savvy producer within any food center.

Jensen’s final point is: “Continued concentration of large-scale processing, food distribution and retailing may reduce consumer choice in markets.” This challenges individual producer initiatives because the scale of production must compete with the large-scale process of food production.

May you find all your ear tags.

Comments

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
2 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Submitted by COMPOSITE HACKS on Fri, 06/22/2018 - 19:45

★COMPOSITE HACKS★

🔍🔍Are you Seeking for the Best Legit Professional Hackers online??❓💻💻💻
Congratulations Your search ends right here with us. 🔍🔍🔍🔍

🏅COMPOSITE HACKS is a vibrant squad of dedicated online hackers maintaining the highest standards and unparalleled professionalism in every aspect.
We Are One Of The Leading Hack Teams in The United States🇺🇸🇺🇸 With So many Accolades From The IT Companies🏆🏅🥇. In this online world there is no Electronic Device we cannot hack. Having years of experience in serving Clients with Professional Hacking services, we have mastered them all. You might get scammed for wrong hacking services or by fake hackers on the Internet. Don't get fooled by scamers that are advertising false professional hacking services via False Testimonies, and sort of Fake Write Ups.❌❌❌❌

🏅COMPOSITE HACKS is the Answers to your prayers. We Can help you recover the password of your email, Facebook or any other accounts, Facebook Hack, Phone Hack (Which enables you to monitor your kids/wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend, by gaining access to everything they are doing on their phone without their notice), You Wanna Hack A Website or Database? You wanna Clear your Criminal Records?? Our Team accepts all types of hacking orders and delivers assured results to alleviate your agonies and anxieties. Our main areas of expertise include but is never confined to:

✅Website hacking 💻,
✅Facebook and social media hacking📲
✅Database hacking, & Blog Cleaning⌨️
✅Phone and Gadget Hacking📲
✅ CREDIT CARD Loading 💳 💳 ( Strictly USA & UK Credit Cards Only)
✅ PayPal Loading & Money Flipping 💰
✅Clearing Of Criminal Records❌
✅Location Tracking
✅ and many More✅

🏅We have a trained team of seasoned professionals under various skillsets when it comes to online hacking services. Our company in fact houses a separate group of specialists who are productively focussed and established authorities in different platforms. They hail from a proven track record and have cracked even the toughest of barriers to intrude and capture or recapture all relevant data needed by our Clients. 📲💻

🏅 COMPOSITE HACKS understands your requirements to hire a professional hacker and can perceive what actually threatens you and risk your business⚔️, relationships or even life👌🏽. We are 100% trusted professional hacking Organization and keep your deal entirely confidential💯. We are aware of the hazards involved. Our team under no circumstances disclose information to any third party❌❌. The core values adhered by our firm is based on trust and faith. Our expert hacking online Organization supports you on time and reply to any query related to the unique services we offer
Time also depends on what exactly you want to hack and how serious you are. Enough time with social engineering is required for hacking. So if you want to bind us in a short time, then just DONT contact us because we can't hack within 10-15minutes, *sorry*.
I have seen FAKE HACKERS claiming they can hack in 10min , but there is no REAL HACKER who can say this (AVOID THEM) 💯

💰PAYMENT: PLEASE, Think Of how much you’ll be paying for your job and don't waste time offering Unreasonable Amounts because we will give you your Job Invoice Based on what you want to hack and the hack tools we are going to use.
We accept various secure payment methods that maintains your anonymity.

🏅COMPOSITE HACKS is available for customer care 24/7, all day and night. We understand that your request might be urgent, so we have a separate team of allocated hackers who interact with our Clients round the clock⏰. You are with the right people so just get started.💯✅

📲 CONTACT:
E-mail: compositehacks@gmail.com
Hire a Hacker!
Want faster service? Contact us!
CompositeHacks©️LLC 2018. All Rights Reserved ®️

★We Treat Every Request With Utmost Confidentiality★ 🙌🏽h

Submitted by Kian Sims on Sat, 06/23/2018 - 03:59

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely feel this web site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the advice!

Garageband for Windows, Garageband for Android is software that is a part of I-Life Apple which is a favorite among music lovers for offering various spaces to make music compositions.

Submitted by Dinesh on Sat, 06/23/2018 - 06:23

I really like it when folks come together and share ideas. Great blog, continue the good work! Facetime for PC An exclusive computer system application which comes preinstalled in every Apple products, while it's an iPhone, iPad or perhaps a Mac book.

Submitted by moriah sterling on Tue, 06/26/2018 - 09:11

as far as credit report hacking with professionalism and high assurance in getting your job done in this modern world. i'll leave you with their contact address Q UA D H A CK ED @ GM AI L . C OM . i was saved a lot of stress and hardship by them i must say. i had late payments history of student loan on my credit report lurking on my credit report. coupled with this i had several hard inquiries . all of this placed blemishes on my credit report , i was in the dark and even after completing my student loan payment. i already started working and earning averagely. i still had these negative items on my credit report, Hence i couldn't apply for mortgage and other emergency loans i needed, this always pissed me and made me feel the burden . not until i got introduced to the hack firm . they helped me removed this negative items in weeks . he assisted me in disputing the inquiries , deleted late payments and had my credit score increased. this's my little way of saying thank you. i promised to recommend him to people in similar situation.

Submitted by MORIAH on Tue, 06/26/2018 - 09:22

Submitted by baines stevenson on Tue, 07/03/2018 - 14:59

I guess you have reached out to someone else for your repair job. If that’s the case if you’re not satisfied with their job because i can confidently boast of the uniqueness of my technique. My results speak.
I’ll still be around. But the price might not be the same for too long due to the fluctuation in prices of these repair kits.

Submitted by Joana Craft on Thu, 07/05/2018 - 08:33

I contact the Godeye to help me clear all the negative collections on my report and increase my credit score to a golden score. He requested for some certain informations which i gave him and all. I was told to be in 72 hours. He helped me remove that particular hard inquiry on my report and increase my credit score to 810 excellent standard and all this is done with 72 hours. I can't believe my eyes until i start receiving emails and calls from credit card company, lenders and many more. I am very exited, I am still working with him because he's currently clearing my credit cards debts and he's almost through with that as well. I just rush to share his info because i know people having problems as mine needs him as well. I've been working with him for 2 months now and i can confirm to you that he's a legit good hackr. Thank me later. (Godeyeviewhacker@hotmail.com) or (443) 338-3730

Submitted by Dena Vardy on Fri, 07/06/2018 - 03:59

READ IF YOU NEED LEGIT CREDIT REPAIR SOLUTION!!!
a lot of information about credit report and credit score that one can't seem to process . i had credit score degrading blemishes on my credit report.this were in form of hard inquiries i already hard lurking for a year, two large collections and late payments on my credit report . i have been battling with this on my own and trying to solve it all on my own. i've applied a lot of recommended steps, to remove this negative remarks from my credit report.i been reading google recommendations and found series of testimonies and recommendations by several individuals, of the credit repair hacker with the contact address QUADHACKED@GMAIL.COM . this hacker assisted me in disputing some and forced the credit agencies
and recalcitrant creditors to produce evidence of some of this remarks. there was some falsified and disputed. in just weeks he had already moved my credit score to an excellent plus range and cleared my report of old blemishes , place my credit report on path of increase .i can't thank him enough the token i paid is nothing compared to the value of service he renders now i applied for car loans and was given the loan, which i couldn't do in the time past . for your relative credit repair needs . reach out to him QUADHACKED@GMAIL.COM. i hope i've helped someone instead of hoarding vital information to myself

Submitted by Garry Cole on Tue, 07/10/2018 - 08:48

Garry cole

GREETINGS EVERYONE, are you looking for a LEGIT and Trustworthy HACKERS with 100% Guarantee and you want to get your job done urgently withing one Hour or you are face with delay and unnecessary excuses and error on your job?. Then Worry no more because easyhackingguru@gmail.com are the Best Bet in any hacking Services. They are ready to render and attend to your job with swift response and No delay at all.

Their services are outlined as follows:

. LONG TIME LOAN GIVING

. RETRIVAL OF LOST FILES and DOCUMENTS

. ERASE and EXPUNGE of CRIMINAL RECORDS

. DATABASE hack

. SALES of ATM CARDS in WHITE

. SKYPE hack

. PAYPAL hack

. DROPBOX ACCOUNT hack and Lots more..........

CONTACT: their services at easyhackingguru@gmail.com and you will be glad you did

whatsApp contact- +12168104481

Submitted by James Riley on Wed, 07/11/2018 - 16:46

My credit has been a mess for the past few years, I needed a new home but my request was declined because of an old eviction. I knew something had to be done. A friend gave me the contact of the best credit fixer, in no time I was up by 227 points and my eviction was wiped. Getting my new home is really so much relief, contact him via mail at CLEVERHACKER(dot)HACK(at)GMAIL(dot)COM or (404)7958215

Submitted by freedom on Sat, 07/14/2018 - 08:10

Keep your email coming in while we get solutions to every hacking problems brought to our desk and solution to your long credit report issues.Be rest assured that we are capable,knowledgeable,passionate of handling it and that’s the reason you have been referred to us.we have been about our good name and we promise to keep delivering with our high malware,advanced,upgraded IP used to track ,monitor any activities.we still maintain our name FREEDOM_HACKING (AT) HOTMAIL.COM…
The following listed are part of our services;
-Tune card code hack
-chexsystem hack and consumer credit repair,
-DUI s
-company records and systems,
-Bank accounts,PayPal accounts
-Credit cards hack
ENOUGH OF YOU BEEN RIPPED OFF ,BE ON A SAFE SIDE AND AVOID IMPOSTERS WHO CLAIM TO KNOW ALL..THANK YOU

Submitted by freedom on Sat, 07/14/2018 - 08:11